The sane way to manage software on Windows
- Chocolatey builds on technologies you know – unattended installation and PowerShell. Chocolatey works with all existing software installation technologies like MSI, NSIS, InnoSetup, etc, but also works with runtime binaries and zip archives. Go Pro/Business to dial that experience up to 11!
- Easily manage all aspects of Windows software (installation, configuration, upgrade, and uninstallation). Chocolatey is the most reliable when software is included in the package, but can also easily download resources.
- Take advantage of PowerShell to provide automated software management instructions and Chocolatey’s built-in module to turn complex tasks into one line function calls!
- Windows 7+ / Windows Server 2003+
- PowerShell v2+
- .NET Framework 4+ (the installation will attempt to install .NET 4.0 if you do not have it installed)
That’s it! All you need is choco.exe (that you get from the installation scripts) and you are good to go! No Visual Studio required.
Chocolatey installs in seconds. You are just a few steps from running choco right now!
- First, ensure that you are using an administrative shell – you can also install as a non-admin, check out More Options.
- Copy the text specific to your command shell – cmd.exe or powershell.exe.
- Paste the copied text into your shell and press Enter.
- Wait a few seconds for the command to complete.
- If you don’t see any errors, you are ready to use Chocolatey! Type choco or choco -? now.
Install with cmd.exe
Run the following command: (copy command text)
@powershell -NoProfile -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Command "iex ((New-Object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadString('https://chocolatey.org/install.ps1'))" && SET "PATH=%PATH%;%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\chocolatey\bin"
Install with PowerShell.exe
With PowerShell, there is an additional step. You must ensure Get-ExecutionPolicy is not Restricted. We suggest using Bypass to bypass the policy to get things installed or AllSigned for quite a bit more security.
Run Get-ExecutionPolicy. If it returns Restricted, then run Set-ExecutionPolicy AllSigned or Set-ExecutionPolicy Bypass.
Now run the following command: (copy command text)
# Don't forget to ensure ExecutionPolicy above iex ((New-Object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadString('https://chocolatey.org/install.ps1'))
NOTE: Please inspect https://chocolatey.org/install.ps1 prior to running any of these scripts to ensure safety. We already know it’s safe, but you should also be comfortable before running any script from the internet you are not familiar with. All of these scripts download a remote PowerShell script and execute it on your machine.
We take security very seriously. Learn more.
More Install Options
Troubleshooting? Proxy? Need more options?
- Install from PowerShell v3+
- Completely offline/internal install
- Install using PowerShell from cmd.exe
- Install using NuGet Package Manager
- Install using NuGet.exe from PowerShell
- Install downloaded NuGet package from PowerShell
- Install licensed edition
- Installing behind a proxy
- Installing behind an explicit proxy
- Installing to a different location
- Installing a particular version of Chocolatey
- Use Windows built-in compression instead of downloading 7zip
- Installing with restricted TLS
- Non-Administrative install
Once installed, Chocolatey can be upgraded in exactly the same way as any other package that has been installed using Chocolatey. Simply use the command to upgrade to the latest stable release of Chocolatey:
choco upgrade chocolatey